Championship game longest since BCS introduced in 1998
- Dantonio: Scott resolved license issues
- Stakes high for No. 2 PSU vs. Michigan
- RBs in spotlight as Notre Dame hosts USC
- No. 1 Tide heavy favorites against Vols
- Washington State eyes rebound vs. Buffs
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) Clemson's championship victory over Alabama on Monday night wasn't short on excitement. But it sure took a long time.
The final of the College Football Playoff lasted 4 hours, 8 minutes, making it the longest title game since the introduction of the Bowl Championship Series in 1998.
The previous longest championship game of the BCS/CFP era was 3 hours, 59 minutes, when Texas beat Southern California 41-38 in 2006 to win the Rose Bowl.
Updated January 10, 2017