Championship game longest since BCS introduced in 1998
- Michigan to hold 3 practices in Rome
- Cal hires ex-Fresno coach DeRuyter as DC
- Spurrier's son leaves Gamecocks for USF
- Purdue's Brohm continues to fill staff
- Ducks co-OC Reaves to be fired after DUI
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) Clemson's championship victory over Alabama on Monday night wasn't short on excitement. But it sure took a long time.
The final of the College Football Playoff lasted 4 hours, 8 minutes, making it the longest title game since the introduction of the Bowl Championship Series in 1998.
The previous longest championship game of the BCS/CFP era was 3 hours, 59 minutes, when Texas beat Southern California 41-38 in 2006 to win the Rose Bowl.
Updated January 10, 2017